What is the Final Temperature When Lead Shot is Mixed with Water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zhen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
zhen
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
The question is:
A 1000 g sample of lead shot, at 300°C, is dropped into 100 g of water at a temperature of 5.6°C. The specific heats of lead and water are 0.129 and 4.184 J/g°C, respectively. What is the final temperature of the mixture, in degrees Celsius?

I was doing my chemistry pratice, then I saw this question, I don't have a clue at all. It looks very similar to the high school physics, but I can not remember anything. Can you just give me some hints?

I just remember the change of Tw and Tl is the same.
but how does it relate to the heat capacity?...

I solve for the energy of the water: 100 X 4.184 X 5.6 = 2343.04 J
.......lead: 1000 X 0.129 X 300 = 38700 J

then what should I do?:frown:

please help,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And if the final temperature exceeds 100°C, there is a phase change of the water at 100°C, which would also have to be considered.

Heat of vaporization of water = 2.26 J/kg or 539 cal/g.

Hopefully you remembered [itex]\Delta H[/itex]= m cp[itex]\Delta T[/itex]
 
Astronuc said:
And if the final temperature exceeds 100°C, there is a phase change of the water at 100°C, which would also have to be considered.
Heat of vaporization of water = 2.26 J/kg or 539 cal/g.
Hopefully you remembered [itex]\Delta H[/itex]= m cp[itex]\Delta T[/itex]

I remembered it after I post, but I really appriciated it, thank you
 
Last edited: