What is the force intercept on my graph and how can I find it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Machinehead73
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Machinehead73
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have made a graph using excel the for a problem that I have. I used the best fit line function in excel to find my slope and y intercept. The question wants to know the force intercept of this. How can I find out what the force intercept is and an equation stating how I found that.
It would not let be load my chart. But below you will find my data I used to make my chart.

Homework Equations


Resultant Force Acceleration (m/s2
0.109 0.2445
0.1285 0.2827
0.1481 0.3205
0.1678 0.358
0.1874 0.3966
0.207 0.4372
0.2266 0.4763
0.2462 0.5149
0.2659 0.5514
0.2855 0.5895





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the point where the straight line crosses the axis that you have labeled as "Force". If the "Force" axis is the y-axis (vertical), then Excel gives you that number as "y-intercept".
 
Thank you for responding!

The excel give me y= .5094x - .0153 I am not clear on what the question is asking me then. What is the equation to find this out.

Thanks
 
The equation you just gave me is the equation to find this out. Variable "y" in this case stands for "Resultant force" and variable "x" for "acceleration". Which means that you can rewrite this as

F = .5094*a - .0153

When a = 0, what is the value of F? That value is the force intercept.
 
So this means .5094(a) - .0153. Does this mean to multiply .5094 by the acceleration?

Thanks