What is the force keeping a twirling mass from falling due to gravity?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mattowander
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass String
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Mattowander
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Hello! I'm very new to these forums so please pardon my ignorance.

When you twirl a mass on a string horizontally (I.E. you hold a string with a mass on the end of it and spin around) , what is the force keeping the mass from falling due to gravity? I'm a little curious and I can't seem to understand this. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought the tension acted perp. to the object's weight?
 
Mattowander said:
Hello! I'm very new to these forums so please pardon my ignorance.

When you twirl a mass on a string horizontally (I.E. you hold a string with a mass on the end of it and spin around) , what is the force keeping the mass from falling due to gravity? I'm a little curious and I can't seem to understand this. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

The vertical component of tension.

CS
 
The mass will never be traveling in a completely horizontal path, there will be a finite vertical component as mentioned above to oppose the force from gravity
 
NoobixCube said:
The mass will never be traveling in a completely horizontal path, there will be a finite vertical component as mentioned above to oppose the force from gravity
I think you meant to say that the string will never be completely horizontal--thus there will always be a vertical component of tension to balance the weight. (The mass can certainly travel in a perfectly horizontal path.)