What is the formula for calculating relative velocities in Special Relativity?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Quarlep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 1K views
Quarlep
Messages
257
Reaction score
4
Lets suppose three objects O,A and B are set up in universe and nothing else.Then O seems A is moving 0.3c And B is moving 0.5c .In Special Relativity we have relative velocities formula I want to formule it but result seems absurd can you find me all possible velocities I mean A, O and B observer
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Quarlep said:
In Special Relativity we have relative velocities formula I want to formule it but result seems absurd
What results did you get? Why do they seem absurd?
 
VCB=VOB-VOC I thought like this But this is not true in special relativity.In special Relativity it like the relative formule for special relativity isn't it ?
 
Last edited:
Quarlep said:
VCB=VOB-VOC
You'll need to define your terms. (What is C, for example?)

Quarlep said:
I thought like this But this is not true in special relativity.In special Relativity it like the relative formule for special relativity isn't it ?
You'll certainly need to add the velocities using special relativity, not Galilean relativity.
 
Quarlep said:
VCB=VOB-VOC
But you said there were only 3 objects O, A and B, so there is no object C? I'm going to assume by "C" you mean "A", so, in Newtonian theory it would be[tex] v_{AB} = v_{OB} - v_{OA}.[/tex]Then in special relativity it is[tex] v_{AB} = \frac{ v_{OB} - v_{OA} } { 1 - \frac{ v_{OB} v_{OA} } {c^2} },[/tex](provided all velocities are parallel).