What is the formula for the charge of a charged soap bubble?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Pandabasher
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A soap bubble of radius 0.1mm has a wall thickness of 3.3x10^-8m, and is charged to a potential of 100V. Give a formula for the charge of the bubble.

I know this is probably a really easy question, but I've only ever done problems with spheres of negligible wall thickness, so not sure if the wall makes a difference.
I know the equation for potential, so I could just rearrange that to get get Q.

Any help is appreciated, cheers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Some malicious profs have a tendency to give you irrelevant data. Did you know that? :biggrin:

Real question is: what is the outside radius? Is it 0.1mm or 0.1mm + 3.3e-8m? The problem as stated doesn't say, but you'll have to make an assumption. Of course, 3.3e-8 << 1e-4.
 
I think the point is that the thickness IS negligible as you say, so I've been trolled by Professor after all, haha. Thanks.