1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the formula to find inertia with velocity and mass?

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    v=2m/s
    m=10kg
    find the inertia

At first i did 2m/s times by 10kg which is 20 but i also did 2m/s divided by 10kg =0.2 and 10kg divided by 2m/s= 5 but i'm unsure which method is correct.
    and momentum apparently isn't the same as inertia...

Inertia is when an object carries on doing the same thing unless an unbalanced force is acting on it!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Megan1000,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Note that you need to fill out the entire template and show what you've tried in order to solve the problem, or at least explain your understanding of it so far. Helpers are not permitted to offer any guidance otherwise.

Can you explain what you mean by "inertia"? Is it a term that is defined in your course notes or course textbook? Perhaps you meant "momentum"?

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3
    at first i did 2m/s times by 10kg which is 20 but i also did 2 divided by 10 =0.2 and 10 divided by 2= 5 but i'm unsure which method is correct.
    and momentum apparently isn't the same as inertia...

5. Jun 1, 2017 #4

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Inertia is this property, which is talked about, but rarely used in calculations (except when referring to Moment of Inertia, for objects which rotate).
    Being that inertia is resistance to change in motion, the closest thing to inertia, is the mass of the object.
    If you meant something different, then please clarify the problem statement.

6. Jun 1, 2017 #5
    so what should i use instead then?????

7. Jun 1, 2017 #6
    never mind ...
    the question wanted me to work out the order from smallest to greatest inertia and it gave me more things like the first thing i showed.
    it gave me the mass, and the more mass you have the more inertia you have. so i put them in order of smallest to largest mass.
    lol
    thanks anyways x

8. Jun 1, 2017 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Next time please post the problem statement word for word using the template. This is to avoid helpers wasting time trying to guess the real question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted