What is the fourth dimensional equivalent of volume?
- Thread starter BillTre
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,387
- 1,653
Hypervolume, which is bounded by 3D hypersurfaces.BillTre said:2D has areas.
3D has volumes.
what are 4D spaces called?
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,097
Hypervolume is the only thing I've found so far.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,097
Does 3D hypersurface track?renormalize said:Hypervolume, which is bounded by 3D hypersurfaces.
Do 2D denizens say "A 3D space is called a volume which is bounded by 2D hyper lines"?
Yeah, I guess it does:
"A 2D hypersurface is a mathematical term for what is typically called an ordinary surface in three-dimensional space. More generally, in mathematics, a hypersurface is an object (a manifold or variety) that has a dimension exactly one less than the dimension of the space it is embedded in."
Science Advisor
2025 Award
- 17,252
- 10,712
A 4D sphere is a hypersphere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-sphere#Properties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-sphere#Properties
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,696
- 9,097
Yes, and hypercubes, hypertetrahedra.Baluncore said:A 4D sphere is a hypersphere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-sphere#Properties
Tesseract is my trigger word, so I think it's about time enough that I mention (as I do every few years) that I came very close to building my own (3D shadow of) a fully-articulated hypercube.
I solved all the enginering problems with 3D prototyping and was just gearing up to print the final parts when I discovered that someone had beaten me to it.
So that's about two decades of spare time I'll never get back.
Similar threads
- eggy
- · Replies 3 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 3
- SaniT404
- · Replies 7 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 7
- genxium
- · Replies 3 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 3
- AstroMath
- · Replies 14 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 14
- L.Newton
- · Replies 21 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 21
- JaredPM
- · Replies 2 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 2
- 2dB+2dB~5dB
- · Replies 1 ·
- Calculus
- Replies
- 1
High School
What is the axis label for the fourth dimension?
- Jow
- · Replies 5 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 5
- PMCIIII
- · Replies 16 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 16
- Feeble Wonk
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 1