1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is (d^3)r in Green's Function equivalent to volume element?

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is part of the online tutorial I'm reading: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node49.html

I'm so confused about the notation of Dirac Delta. It's said that 3-dimensional delta function is denoted as [itex]\delta^3(x, y, z)=\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)[/itex] in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeltaFunction.html or [itex]\delta(\textbf{x})=\delta(x_1)\delta(x_2)\delta(x_3)[/itex] in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function#Properties_in_n_dimensions , which was taken by me as granted before.

However in the tutorial, it's said that [itex]v(\textbf{r})=\int \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r'})v(\textbf{r'})d^3\textbf{r'}[/itex] and the [itex]d^3\textbf{r'}[/itex] is confusing me. I'm pretty sure that the tutorial is refering to a 3-dimensional coordinate system and I suppose that [itex]\textbf{r'}=x' \cdot \textbf{i}+y' \cdot \textbf{j}+z' \cdot \textbf{k}[/itex] is indicating the position vector. Thus how does [itex]d^3\textbf{r'}[/itex] work here?

In my understanding, for Cartesian Coordinate, the traditional delta property is

[itex]v(\textbf{r})=\int \int \int \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r'})v(\textbf{r'})dx'dy'dz'[/itex]

or

[itex]v(\textbf{r})=\int \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r'})v(\textbf{r'})dV'[/itex].

It's not obvious to me that [itex]v(\textbf{r})=\int \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r'})v(\textbf{r'})d^3\textbf{r'}[/itex] is equivalent to either of them.

Any help is appreciated :)

2. Relevant equations

[itex]v(\textbf{r})=\int \int \int \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r'})v(\textbf{r'})dx'dy'dz'[/itex]
    [itex]v(\textbf{r})=\int \delta(\textbf{r}-\textbf{r'})v(\textbf{r'})dV'[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Mentioned above.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the definition of dV and d^3r. Not writing out the triple ingegral is merely convention. Also, naturally, the volumr dV of a box of side lengths dx, dy, and dz is dx dy dz.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your confusion has nothing to do with Dirac; it is just notational confusion in integration. There is nothing to be confused about: in a cartesian coordinate system, ##dx \, dy \, dz = dV = d^3 \vec{r}##, by definition. And, as Orodruin has said, ##\int = \int \int \int## is a common contraction.

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4
    Thank you for the replies.

@Ray Vickson, yes it's fine for me to take it as a definition :)

In fact I'm expecting to find consistency between notations, like that [itex]d^3\textbf{r} \stackrel{\Delta}{=} dV[/itex] is introduced by "reasoning" instead of "convenience". However if it's indeed just a convenient notation I'll still be happy to go on reading and learning the tutorial.

Here's what I've tried but failed to find the "consistency" in Cartesian coordinate:

[tex]d\textbf{r} = \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial x} \cdot dx + \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial y} \cdot dy + \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial z} \cdot dz = dx \cdot \textbf{i} + dy \cdot \textbf{j} + dz \cdot \textbf{k}[/tex]

[tex]d^2 \textbf{r} = d(d\textbf{r}) = \frac{\partial (d\textbf{r})}{\partial x} \cdot dx + \frac{\partial (d\textbf{r})}{\partial y} \cdot dy + \frac{\partial (d\textbf{r})}{\partial z} \cdot dz[/tex]

I'm stuck here because there's no explicit term [itex]x[/itex] or [itex]y[/itex] or [itex]z[/itex] in [itex]d\textbf{r}[/itex].

Anyway this is no longer a big problem for me as it was 1 week ago :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted