What is the function of the kidneys?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Paulo2014
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the kidneys function to remove wastes and extra water from the blood stream, maintain fluid and electrolyte balance, and produce hormones that regulate blood pressure and calcium levels.
Paulo2014

Biology news on Phys.org
Too remove wastes and extra water from the blood stream.

Is this a homework question? Have you tried looking up an answer to this first?

No its not a homwork question its just for general interest and I have tried looking for an answer but nowhere explains it well

Paulo2014 said:
No its not a homwork question its just for general interest and I have tried looking for an answer but nowhere explains it well

Well, you didn't try very hard... I just googled kidney function, and got bzillions of hits. Here's the first one:

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/

Your Kidneys and How They Work
On this page:

What do my kidneys do?
What is renal function?
Why do kidneys fail?
How do kidneys fail?
What are the signs of kidney disease?
What medical tests will my doctor use to detect kidney disease?
What are the stages of kidney disease?
What can I do about kidney disease?
What happens if my kidneys fail completely?
Hope through Research
Points to Remember
For More Information

Your two kidneys are vital organs that perform many functions to keep your blood clean and chemically balanced. Understanding how your kidneys work can help you to keep them healthy.

The kidneys have three main functions- to excrete out metabolic products and toxins, play a key role in homeostasis by regulating the body's fluids (electrolyte balance and acid-base balance) and produce important hormones which regulate blood pressure and calcium metabolism.

Related to What is the function of the kidneys?

The kidneys are two bean-shaped organs located on either side of the spine, just below the rib cage. Their main function is to filter waste products and excess fluid from the blood, producing urine in the process.

How do the kidneys filter the blood?

The kidneys contain millions of tiny filtering units called nephrons. These nephrons consist of a glomerulus, which is a cluster of small blood vessels, and a tubule. As blood passes through the glomerulus, waste products and excess fluid are filtered out and then reabsorbed or excreted through the tubule.

What other functions do the kidneys have?

In addition to filtering the blood, the kidneys also regulate the levels of various substances in the body, such as electrolytes, hormones, and vitamins. They also help maintain the body's acid-base balance and produce hormones that play a role in blood pressure regulation and red blood cell production.

What happens if the kidneys are not functioning properly?

If the kidneys are not functioning properly, waste products and excess fluid can build up in the body, leading to various health problems. This can also affect the body's ability to regulate other substances, leading to imbalances and potential complications.

What can be done to maintain healthy kidney function?

To maintain healthy kidney function, it is important to stay hydrated, eat a balanced and nutritious diet, exercise regularly, and avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. It is also important to monitor and manage any underlying health conditions that can affect the kidneys, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.