What is the general formula for the sum of a telescoping series?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EstimatedEyes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
EstimatedEyes
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent by expressing [tex]s_{n}[/tex] as a telescoping sum. If it is convergent, find its sum.
[tex]\sum\frac{3}{n(n+3)}[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Partial Fraction Decomposition: [tex]\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+3}[/tex]

Partial Sum: [tex]s_{n}= (\frac{1}{1} - \frac{1}{4}) + (\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{5}) + (\frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{6}) + (\frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{7}) + ... + (\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+3})[/tex]

From the above partial sum, I deduced that the negative term of the nth term is canceled out by the positive term in the n+4th term. However, from there, I am not able to come up with a general formula for the sum of the series. Any help would be appreciated; thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So which terms DON'T cancel? I count six of them for large n.