1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the sum of this telescoping series

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether each of the following series is convergent or divergent. If the series is convergent, find its sum

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{6}{9i^{2}+6i-8} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Partial fraction decomposition

[tex] \frac{1}{3i-2} - \frac{1}{3i+4} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The divergence test is inconclusive, so I wrote as partial fractions and started analysing the nth sum:

[tex] S_{n} = \left( 1-\frac{1}{7} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{10} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{7} - \frac{1}{13} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{10} - \frac{1}{16} \right) + \dots [/tex]

1 and 1/4 are the only terms that do not cancel, but how do I show this in the nth case? I'm having trouble writing it generally.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Include the general term in your expansion:
    ##S_{n} = \left( 1-\frac{1}{7} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{10} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{7} - \frac{1}{13} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{10} - \frac{1}{16} \right) + \dots + \left( \frac{1}{3n-2} - \frac{1}{3n+4} \right) + \dots##
    If you add in the term before and the one after the last term I wrote above, you should see how the telescoping happens.

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show that for every term of the form ##1/(2n)## there will be another term ##-1/(2n)## (corresponding to just two possible values of ##i##) and for every term ##1/(2n+1)## there is a cancelling term ##-1/(2n+1)##---again, corresponding to exactly two values of ##i##.

5. Feb 2, 2016 #4
    Thanks guys, I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted