Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is the GZK Cut Off Point and why does it happen?

1. May 10, 2018 #1
    What is the GZK Cut Off point? I've seen an article stating that Prof. Silas Beane says a sort of 'lattice', an energy limit, which may suggest we are living in a matrix. But that can't be right? Can it? What actually causes it and why does it happen?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2018 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Can you give a reference to that article?
    The Wiki Article (first Google hit) seems to imply that there is no limit.
    I don't understand what the "matrix" thing has to do with it. Can you help us with that?

4. May 10, 2018 #3
  5. May 10, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I read that article and I think it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. The clause near the end "even if it's only to rule out" drew my attention. I can't believe it's Physics in the terms of PF. It seems daft to me that anyone could suppose the form of computer that would run a simulation of that nature would operate anything like the article suggests (i.e. just like a bigger version of what we are using).
    They say " The problem with all simulations is that the laws of physics, which appear continuous, have to be superimposed onto a discrete three dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time. ", to which I can only say WHY???

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted