1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is the GZK Cut Off Point and why does it happen?

1. May 10, 2018 #1
    What is the GZK Cut Off point? I've seen an article stating that Prof. Silas Beane says a sort of 'lattice', an energy limit, which may suggest we are living in a matrix. But that can't be right? Can it? What actually causes it and why does it happen?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2018 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Can you give a reference to that article?
    The Wiki Article (first Google hit) seems to imply that there is no limit.
    I don't understand what the "matrix" thing has to do with it. Can you help us with that?

4. May 10, 2018 #3
  5. May 10, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I read that article and I think it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. The clause near the end "even if it's only to rule out" drew my attention. I can't believe it's Physics in the terms of PF. It seems daft to me that anyone could suppose the form of computer that would run a simulation of that nature would operate anything like the article suggests (i.e. just like a bigger version of what we are using).
    They say " The problem with all simulations is that the laws of physics, which appear continuous, have to be superimposed onto a discrete three dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time. ", to which I can only say WHY???

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted