What is the height at which the ball starts to move on a ramp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chamonix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Ramp
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
chamonix
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A ball of mass 522 g starts at rest and slides down a frictionless track. It leaves the track horizontally, striking the ground.
a. at what height above the ground does the ball start to move?

Homework Equations


I have:
mgh=mgh_2+1/2mv^2
which simplifies to:
h=h_2+1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I got:
.2+1.25=1.45

I think that 1.45 is right, but I'm a little confused on how I got to that point.:confused: Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
uhhhh,
I think the problem probably gave a little more information then that.
 
Oh, so sorry, it did. There was the variable h that was the height of top of ramp to ground. then there was height from bottom of ramp to ground which was 1.25 meters and then distance the ball fell from ramp in x direction which was 1 meter.