What is the height of the cliff?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
adidab12
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1. To determine how high a cliff is, a llama farmer drops a rock, and then 0.800 s later, throws another rock straight down at a velocity of −10.0 m/s. Both rocks land at the same time. How high is the cliff?




2. I know some kinematics equations must be used



3. I am stumped because I don't know the final velocity the height or the time just the difference in time between the two
 
Physics news on Phys.org
adidab12 said:
1. To determine how high a cliff is, a llama farmer drops a rock, and then 0.800 s later, throws another rock straight down at a velocity of −10.0 m/s. ]


What is your sign convention? Why the velocity is negative?
 
i don't know what you mean by sign convention but velocity is negative because it is traveling downwards
 
adidab12 said:
i don't know what you mean by sign convention but velocity is negative because it is traveling downwards

In that case, what is the direction of acceleration due to gravity, g?
 
d=d0+v*t+1/2at2
d=d0+v*(t-.800s)+1/2a(t-.800s)2

First rock,
d0=0
V=0
a=9.81
d=1/2at2

Second rock,
d0=0
d=10m/s*(t-.800s)+1/2*9.81*(t-.800)2

I used calculator to find when these to intersect.
y1=1/2at2
y2=10m/s*(t-.800s)+1/2*9.81*(t-.800)2
Calc->Intersect
I got x =2.26sec y = 25.02 m