Solving Symbolically: Height of Cliff with No Air Resistance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
SavannahN
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You are climbing in the High Sierra when you suddenly find yourself at the edge of a fogshrouded
cliff. To find the height of this cliff, you drop a rock from the top; a time T later you
hear the sound of the rock hitting the ground at the foot of the cliff.

a. If you ignore air resistance, how high is the cliff if the speed of sound is vs?

Homework Equations


s = v * t
s =1/2*a*t2

The Attempt at a Solution



h = 1/2*g*trock2 (rock)
h = tsound *vs (sound)
​
T = tsound + trock
-> tsound = T - trock​
h = (T - trock)*vs
​
h = 1/2*g*trock2​
-> trock = root(2*h/g)​
​
h = (T - root(2*h/g))*vs

after this I am lost in separating the h, so I am assuming that I did something wrong. Where did I go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SavannahN said:
after this I am lost in separating the h, so I am assuming that I did something wrong. Where did I go wrong?
Your expression is correct. To find the height, just square both sides and solve the quadratic. Be sure you pick the right solution of the two as your answer.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SavannahN