What is the ideal thickness for a concrete slab for a chemical storage tank?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
NewEngineer
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
Good morning forum,

I'm currently in the middle of a project where I'm installing a new chemical storage tank outside. I need to lay a new concrete slab for the tank to lay on. My question is how thick should the concrete slab be? The tank will be stationary, when filled it will weigh approximately 4600 lbs, plus some piping and other equipment attached to it. The tank will be stationary and the pad will be approx. 5 ft x 5 ft. Is there some kind of formula or ratio I can find, or is 4-6 inches just a standard?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Will this structure and installation be inspected by your local building inspectors? Do you need to get a permit to start the construction? The local building inspection department would be your best source for this kind of information...
 
Will it be filled by delivery tanker? The requirement for the tanker might be greater than for the tank.

Does the tank have feet=point loads or flat bottom=distributed load?

Look up guidance for heating oil tanks?