ideasrule said:
It's also why so many teenagers use illegal drugs: because they're illegal, not because taking them is fun in itself.
"Uh yeah, I'm going to smoke me a joint because it's illegal, not because it gets me high as a kite!"
Seriously, are you really telling me it's the illegality of it that makes people want to take drugs, not the fact it does something to them like get them high or give them a rush? If that's your reasoning, nobody would be drinking alcohol.
WRT censorship, if a child hears a word on tv, say the F word, and then runs around a shop shouting it, because they don't know they shouldn't and don't have any understanding of it (although neither do many teens), it's embarassing for the parent and puts a bad light on them as a parent. Imagine your child running up to your boss and shout "f*** you", because they don't realize what they are saying.
Yes, I think a child should learn the words (and many other things) sooner rather than later (preferably not from inapropriate sources), but until they are able to comprehend exactly what they are saying and understand when they can and cannot use it, they shouldn't be exposed to them all the time. I think censorship of many things simply continues because of peoples views of the words or acts and they don't want their children exposed to them at all, leaving them to learn them from movies, friends and tv, which leads to a lot of inapropriate use.
In my house growing up, nobody swore around me and my sister, I never had the urge to swear, I still don't. It just seems a pointless way to pad out a sentence. However, in my cousins house they swear around the children all the time, those kids now use the words all the time completely inapropriately with no understanding of them (arguing with their parents for a start). I think that is bad. They aren't old enough (8 and 10) to know what they are saying and the continuous use by their parents means they are taking it as the correct way to speak. Yes, I would want my child to know the words/acts or whatever, but I also would like them to understand you can't just go about swearing or there are certain things that are inapropriate.
After 9.00pm in the UK, anything goes.