What Is the Initial Speed of a Bullet Fired into a Block?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rubi22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Rubi22
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
First post here on the forum, so excuse me for any mistakes.

A bullet of mass m is fired into a block of mass M initially at rest at the edge of a frictionless table of height h. The vullet remains in the block, and after impact the block lands a distance d from the bottom of the table. Determine the initial speed of the bullet.

No variables are given, the answer should be in the form of an equation.

I'm having a really hard time starting this problem, but am pretty confident that with a hint I could get it taken care of. I'm thinking that the conservation of momentum equation (Pi=Pf) will help determine the velocity of the bullet, but I'm not sure how to compensate for the block falling off of the desk. Maybe the laws of motion equation? (X=Xi+VixT+1/2AT^2)?

Any help would be appreciated. I have the answer from the book, but am not sure how to figure it out. Let me know if knowing the answer would help. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're absolutely right. Use the x equation to find the initial velocity of M and m (when they are together). Then relate that velocity to the initial velocity of the bullet before it hits the block. Is there a specific place where you have trouble? Don't forget that you have to consider the motion in the horizontal and vertical directions as the block and bullet are falling off the table.