What is the initial speed of the ball?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jkmath16
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



ball thrown horizontally from roof of building 55.0m tall and lands 29.7m from the base. find balls initial speed


Homework Equations


(√acceleration/[√2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86


The Attempt at a Solution


(sqroot acceleration/[2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86
the answer is correct..I am confused how it is that i can get to this formula.

I am confused to what "29.7m from the base" means
thanks all
*this is my first time posting, I hope i am doing it correct
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jkmath16 said:

Homework Statement



ball thrown horizontally from roof of building 55.0m tall and lands 29.7m from the base. find balls initial speed


Homework Equations


(√acceleration/[√2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86


The Attempt at a Solution


(sqroot acceleration/[2*55] ) * 29.7=8.86
the answer is correct..I am confused how it is that i can get to this formula.

I am confused to what "29.7m from the base" means
thanks all
*this is my first time posting, I hope i am doing it correct

This is an example of projectile motion.
The vertical part of the motion is exactly the same as vertical motion under gravity - especially with respect to time.
The horizontal component is just motion at constant velocity.

If you drop a ball 55m, it takes a little over 3 seconds to reach the ground. This ball will also take that same time to reach the ground.
In that time it had been moving away from the wall at constant speed.

Lets pretend it took exactly 3 seconds to land.
If it was initially traveling at 8 m/s, it will land 24m from the wall after 3 seconds.

Your ball tookmore than 3 seconds to get there, and landed 29.7 metres out, but you should be able to do the arithmetic.