What Is the Initial Speed of the Bullet in a Bullet-Block Collision Problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nyasha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Nyasha
Messages
127
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A bullet of mass 0.0100kg moving horizontally strikes a block of M=5kg and becomes embedded. If the block bullet move a distance of 6 m on a rough horizontal table. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.300. What is the speed of the bullet before striking the block ?


Homework Equations



m1v1= ( M+m) V2 - fkd (1)



The Attempt at a Solution



I got two unknowns and one equation. I do not have V2 and v1 so l am stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nyasha said:

Homework Equations



m1v1= ( M+m) V2 - fkd (1)
This looks like some mix of momentum conservation and work. No good!

I got two unknowns and one equation. I do not have V2 and v1 so l am stuck.
Find two equations:
(1) Conservation of momentum for the collision.
(2) Energy/work applied after the collision.

Hint: Use equation 2 first.