What is the instantaneous speed at t=30 minutes on the given graph?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zashmar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Zashmar
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Gday mates,

This is my question
I uploaded a picture of the graph.
Calculate the instantaneous speed when t=30 minutes, I have read something about limits but I don't understand and I am getting really frustrated. Please help ;)

PS answer says 45 KLM/hour
 
Attachments
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362283955449.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362283955449.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
The instantaneous speed is the slope of the distance-time curve at t = 30 min
 
That is what I thought... In that case the answer would be 75k/h
 
Zashmar said:
That is what I thought... In that case the answer would be 75k/h
No, it's 45kph. Pls explain exactly how you are calculating the slope.
 
By finding the gradient of the line the 30 mins corresponds to, it is rise 3 run 4. So gradient is equal to 3/4 or 75klm
 
Zashmar said:
By finding the gradient of the line the 30 mins corresponds to, it is rise 3 run 4. So gradient is equal to 3/4 or 75klm
What are the units of each step on the y axis; likewise on the x axis?
 
Zashmar said:
Y axes is kilometers x-axis is hours
No, x-axis is minutes.
 
Zashmar said:
Y axes is kilometers x-axis is hours
If the grid lines were km and hours then your 3/4 should have produced 0.75 km/h.
In fact, they're 5km and 5min.