What Is the Integral of the nth Derivative from Zero to Infinity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
seanhbailey
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In general, what is [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} f^{(n)}(z) dn[/tex]?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Is the answer as simple as taking the antiderivative of n?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
n is the nth derivative of f(z), and z is a constant. I want to integrate with respect to the variable n, the nth derivative. If I simply took the aniderivative of n, and if the values I wanted to evaluate the integral over were 1 and 0, I would obtain [tex]f^{(1/2)}(z)[/tex] which does not make any sense. What am I doing wrong?
 
The whole thing seems screwy to me. Your limits of integration are 0 to infinity, but derivatives make sense only for integer values of n. E.g., the "one-halfth" derivative doesn't make any sense.
 
Does the integral even have an antiderivative, forgetting about the limits?
 
This is the problem I am encountering in the Euler- MacLaurin expansion in my proof. The proof is given in another one of my posts called Zeta Function Proof. If anyone would like to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much.