What is the job outlook for physicists in the next decade?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hemotep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Year
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
93 replies · 24K views
Andy, I think you underestimate just how much your graduate study in condensed matter physics prepared you for what you are doing now; or more to the point, in how it enabled you to get to where you are now.

When my advisor told me that the problem he wanted me to tackle was critical phenomena in binary liquid thin films using ellipsometry and neutron reflectometry, my mind went to the catalog of knowledge stored from my undergraduate and graduate coursework, and came up with absolutely nothing. My reaction, of course, was a very timid sounding 'Huh?' Reading the papers he gave me did absolutely nothing to make me feel better. I didn't understand the problem at all, but since my Ph.D. lie on the other side, I tackled it anyway. I accomplished the task, and in the process I learned quite a bit about things that have shockingly little to do directly with physics. I'm sure you, and most Ph.D's here had a similar experience: starting from the ground with a problem you didn't really understand, and with no clue how to accomplish it. 95% of what you learned in coursework was completely irrelevant, and 95% of what you would needed to know you had to learn on your own. And of course some of what you needed to know you had to figure out by yourself, cause no one on Earth knew the answer yet.

This is the experience that prepared you to work in a diversity of fields. How many humanity majors make the kind of career transition you were able to make? How many former insurance salesmen do you work with? Employers generally know that we as a group can learn new fields, and tackle problems that we (and often noone) understand initially. That's probably the main reason they hire us (it's a big part of why I got my job).

Graduate coursework could be a bit more practical, but as it is, it does teach some important things. Aside from the mathematical background it provides, it also teaches students how to problem solve, and how to think at higher levels of abstraction. I won't go into this here, as this post is getting long enough.

Yes, a Ph.D in physics, even if it doesn't give you a technical skill an employer is likely to want, does prepare people for careers. This is why our unimployment rate is generaly extremely low.

I agree that outsourcing is overrated. China does produce a huge number of engineers, but only a small fraction of those engineers are of a quality that come out of American universities. Same in other fields. There is a reason they come here.

I end my diatribe with some advice to people in school. And this does apply to any field, not just physics. Diversify. I got my job because my physics background was combined with a good deal of knowledge about software development (no, not just having read a Schaum's outline on C). Learn about some other field, whether it be sales, management, chemistry, or whatever, and you will make yourself a lot more attractive to some employers, even though you are being hired primarily because you are a physicist.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nebuqalia said:
Being an engineer myself, I strongly do not recommend pursuing a career in science/engineering (whatever the specialty is).

These days, almost everything related to science, technology, research, and development is being moved to China and India. This is becoming the norm, not the exception. And I'm not talking about day-to-day routine manufacturing and assembly operations; I am talking about innovative advanced R&D.

All of us (in this forum) are physics lovers. It is indeed a very intellectually stimulating field. Nothing rivals those thrilling moments of "Ah-ha!" in physics. However, and I really hate to say this, science won't bring food on the table.

For those considering a science/engineering major, I know that you are ambitious and genuinely interested in these fields. I know you probably don't care much about money. However, you would eventually realize the significance of these issues when you graduate. By then, it would be too late and expensive (time-, money-, and effort-wise) for you to make career adjustments. A bit of reality, however harsh it may be, would hopefully help you in making better career decisions.

But by all means, if you like these topics, don't give up on them. Consider it as a hobby. Read some books on these topics every now and then. Studying as a hobby is way more interesting than studying as a career necessity, any hobbyist and (do-it-yourself)er would tell you that.

I would also suggest being open minded on the various opportunities available. Your mathematical aptitude (as someone interested in science and engineering) would be very useful in a very wide range of careers, such as management, law, finance, accounting, etc. You would be amazed by how much you can contribute to those fields.

I don't really agree with this. As far as engineering goes, there is a SHORTAGE of engineers in this country and virtually every kind of engineer can count on getting a job right out of school--at least where I live. Trust me, there is plenty of engineering work in this country that hasn't been shipped over seas. But as far as the sciences go, you should consider your goals carefully before pursuing a graduate level education in physics or other science related field. As a scientist you will not get paid as much as an engineer, it is also difficult to find a research position after you get your PhD. So, if your primary goals are economic, you probably should choose an engineering discipline. But if you want to go into science strictly for other reasons, by all means do it.
 
er can we stop fighting on this topic? we have many more stuff to do!
 
adastra said:
er can we stop fighting on this topic? we have many more stuff to do!

Considering the last post was three weeks old, I think the the argument was finished. Perhaps until you bumped it, that is.