What is the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017 competition about?

In summary, the conversation discusses a website called Kaggle where data science information and competitions with large cash prizes are hosted. The latest competition was focused on creating a model to detect lung cancer, with a $500,000 prize for the 1st place winner. The conversation also mentions other competitions on Kaggle, such as one for recognizing sea lions and another for predicting house prices in the Russian housing market. The participants express their interest in these competitions and the potential benefits for the medical and coding communities.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
There is a neat site called Kaggle that is home to lots of data science info and the place of very featured competitions with large cash prizes. The goal of this year's competition was to create a model to detect lung cancer. It just wrapped up last week and the results are being verified right now as far as I know. $500,000 goes to the 1st place model, so very big money here.

Since I have become a professional model builder/checker, I find this kind of thing really cool and a great idea. Present a challenge to the whole internet with a large cash prize and see what comes back. You could be a grad student, a medical doctor, or completely untrained in the traditional ways but if your model is the best you win.

In a way this is like the Millennium Challenge Problems, each with a $1 million prize but this is more applied and coding centered than those (well perhaps except the P=NP proof :D).

Anyway, what do you guys think about this competition and these kinds of competitions in general?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I like it. Particularly, with the focus on cancer, who knows what benefits for the medical community may arise.

I am currently participating in a competition to recognize sea lions. The competition is fierce to be honest with many previous winners but it is always a good experience that you learn from. Also the Cash prize is a good incentive.

Yep. Nothing like a bit of money to force one to pull his finger out.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I am currently participating in a competition to recognize sea lions. The competition is fierce to be honest with many previous winners but it is always a good experience that you learn from. Also the Cash prize is a good incentive.

What contest is this for?

Currently there is another Kaggle competition on predicting house prices in the Russian housing market. I have done a similar project for my actual job so am very curious on the methods that contestants use.

Jameson said:
What contest is this for?

Currently there is another Kaggle competition on predicting house prices in the Russian housing market. I have done a similar project for my actual job so am very curious on the methods that contestants use.

It is a computer vision competition . The question is, given an image how many sea lions are there ? Actually it is more complicated since it asks for the type as well.

1. What is the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017?

The Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017 is a data science competition hosted by Kaggle, a platform for data scientists to compete in predictive modeling and analytics challenges. The competition focuses on a specific dataset and problem, and participants must use their data science skills to develop the most accurate and efficient solution.

2. What was the goal of the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017?

The goal of the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017 was to develop a model that could accurately detect lung cancer from CT scans. The competition aimed to encourage data scientists to use their skills for a meaningful cause and potentially improve the accuracy and efficiency of lung cancer detection.

3. How did participants submit their solutions for the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017?

Participants submitted their solutions through the Kaggle platform by uploading their code and predictions. The solutions were evaluated based on their performance on a held-out test dataset, and the winner was determined by the highest score.

4. Who could participate in the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017?

The Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017 was open to anyone with an interest in data science and predictive modeling. Participants could compete individually or as a team, and there were no restrictions on age, nationality, or professional background.

5. What was the prize for the winner of the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017?

The prize for the winner of the Kaggle Data Science Bowl 2017 was $1 million. In addition to the cash prize, the winner also received recognition and exposure in the data science community for their innovative solution to the lung cancer detection problem.