1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the lagrangian of a free relativistic particle?

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the lagrangian of a free reletavistic particle in a electro-magnetic field?
    And what are the v(t) equations that come from the Euler-Lagrange equations (given A(x) = B0/2 crosProduct x)
    (B/2 is at z direction)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've got to: L = mc^2*sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)+q*(A*v-φ)

But don't get to the velocity equations

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    The problem is quite confusing a particle cannot be free if it is in an electromagnetic field because every conceivable particle has electromagnetic attributes.
    Kinetic energy, T = m*[1 - {1/(1-(v²/c²))}]*c², where m is rest mass.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3

kau

For a free relativistic massive particle ,lagrangian would be ##m\int ds## where ds is the proper time and m is the rest mass..So it is invariant under lorentz transformation. ##ds=\sqrt{\eta_{\mu \nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}}## So if I parametrize the whole thing with parameter ##\tau## then we have ##ds=\sqrt{\eta_{\mu \nu}\frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tau}\frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\tau}}d\tau## Then we can write $$L=m\int d\tau \sqrt{(\frac{dt}{d\tau})^{2}-(\frac{dx}{d\tau})^{2}}$$ where I have taken mostly negative sign convention...
    I think This should be the case with free particle....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted