What is the Lattice Parameter c of an HCP Crystal Structure?

In summary, the lattice parameter c of the HCP crystal structure can be determined using the formula a=2r, where r is the atomic radius of the atoms in the structure. It can also be found using pythagorean theorem with the height of an equilateral triangle as the distance between two corners. The resulting formula is c/a > 1 and c ~ 0.8164a.
Hashmeer

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out the lattice parameter, c, of the HCP crystal structure.

Here are a couple links showing the structure: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...agonal+close+packed&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&um=1"

Homework Equations

I know that a=2r, where r is the atomic radius of whatever atoms make up the structure. I'm not really sure what else is relevant, it seems to be a problem of geometry and I'm having trouble working it out.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really type out my math that I've attempted to do since I am having trouble conceptually. I think that the way to go about doing it is with a triangular pyramid, since with the way that the atoms sit on top of each other you will get an equilateral triangle as your base (sides=a) and then the height is c/2. However I can't seem to get this to work out mathematically. I got c to be 2*sqrt(3)*r, which is incorrect.

Thanks for the help.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the height of a triangular piramid is what you seek then a simple method is pytagora with a being the distance between 2 corners.

that is the height of a equilateral triangle is (3^0.5)/2 which means that the pyramid triangle will have a base of 2/3 of the height. That is (3^0.5)/3 so:

Pytagora : a^2(1-3/9)=a^2*c^2 where c=(6/9)^0.5=0.8164

Last edited:
c/a must > 1, and a ~ 2r.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of lattice parameter c in HCP?

Lattice parameter c in HCP refers to the vertical distance between two consecutive atomic layers in a hexagonal close-packed crystal structure.

2. How is lattice parameter c measured?

Lattice parameter c is typically measured using X-ray diffraction techniques, where the distance between atomic planes is determined from the diffraction pattern.

3. What is the relationship between lattice parameter c and lattice parameter a in HCP?

In HCP crystal structures, lattice parameter c is directly related to lattice parameter a through the equation c = 2a*sqrt(3). This means that the vertical distance between atomic layers is larger than the horizontal distance between atomic layers in HCP crystals.

4. How does lattice parameter c affect the properties of HCP materials?

The lattice parameter c of HCP materials can affect their mechanical, electrical, and magnetic properties. For example, a smaller c value can result in stronger and stiffer materials, while a larger c value can lead to greater ductility and better electrical conductivity.

5. Can the lattice parameter c of HCP materials be altered?

Yes, the lattice parameter c of HCP materials can be altered through different processes, such as alloying or applying external pressure. This can result in changes to the material's properties, making it useful for various applications in industries like aerospace, electronics, and healthcare.