What Is the Law of Mass Action in Thermal Physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
WWCY
Messages
476
Reaction score
15

Homework Statement


Hi all, I am having issues with the following problem. Assistance is greatly appreciated!

Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 3.58.49 AM.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



a) The "law of mass action" I know of is just the equilibrium constant, which I wrote in terms of partial pressures at equiilbrium
$$K = \frac{P_{N_2}^2 P_{H_2 0}^6 }{ P_{std} P_{NH_3}^4 P_{O_2}^3 }$$

b) I don't understand the problem here, what does it mean to "find all the constituents"?

c) I was thinking of attempting to obtain an expression for partial pressures at equilibrium, in terms of the individual partition functions. However, I don't think this is at all an efficient way of working it out. There is another equation
$$K = e^{-\Delta _r G_0 / RT}$$
but the change in molar Gibbs function at standard temperature and pressure is given by a sum over chemical potentials evaluated at standard and pressure (with some coefficients), which when expressed as partition functions seem rather complicated.
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 3.58.49 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 3.58.49 AM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 798
Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
what does it mean to "find all the constituents"?
Just a guess, but could it mean to include intermediate products?
 
haruspex said:
Just a guess, but could it mean to include intermediate products?

What does it mean to include intermediate products? Apologies but I'm not familiar with chemical reactions
 
Would it be alright if perhaps someone assisted me with c) instead of b)? I'll have to get my instructor to tell me what's going on in part b.

Thanks!
 
WWCY said:
Would it be alright if perhaps someone assisted me with c) instead of b)? I'll have to get my instructor to tell me what's going on in part b.

Thanks!
I can help you with part b. Suppose you had a mixture of the four species that was not at equilibrium, and you knew the total pressure and the mole fractions of the four species in this initial state. Assuming that the reaction took place at constant total pressure, would you be able to determine the mole fractions (or partial pressures) of the four species when equilibrium was attained?
 
WWCY said:
what does it mean to "find all the constituents"?

Find amounts (concentrations, partial pressures, whatever) of all substances present.
 
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to give this a bit of a think as I'm not well acquainted with the topic yet.