What is the length of the catapult?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FilthyOtis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Catapult Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 20K views
FilthyOtis
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A Jet fighter plane is launched from a catapult on an aircraft carrier. It reaches a speed of 42 m/s at the end of the catapult, and this requires 2.0s. Assuming the acceleration is constant, what is the length of the catapult?



Am I looking at this correctly?

final velocity(Vf) is 42 m/s

initial velocity(Vi) is 0 m/s

time(t) is 2.0 s

acceleration(a) is 21 m/s^2 (I'm assuming this because if it started from rest and after 2 seconds is traveling 42 m/s than the acceleration must be half of that? or am I way off? )


Here's my solution, Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2ad

(42 m/s)^2 = 0 + 2(21 m/s^2)d

d = 42^2 / 42 = 42m

Am I doing this correctly? Thank you for any help in advance.

- Otis
 
Physics news on Phys.org