What is the length of the vector (1,i) and why can it still be normalized?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DocZaius
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
DocZaius
Messages
365
Reaction score
11
I have a vector (1,i) and need to normalize it. I am being told that the answer is 1/(sqrt(2)) (1,i) but it seems clear to me that the vector's length is 0 and thus can't be normalized. What am i missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DocZaius said:
I have a vector (1,i) and need to normalize it. I am being told that the answer is 1/(sqrt(2)) (1,i) but it seems clear to me that the vector's length is 0 and thus can't be normalized. What am i missing?

Hi DocZaius! :smile:

The length of a vector containing complex numbers is defined slightly different.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_(mathematics):
On an n-dimensional complex space ℂn the most common norm is
$$\|\boldsymbol{z}\| := \sqrt{|z_1|^2 + \cdots + |z_n|^2}= \sqrt{z_1 \bar z_1 + \cdots + z_n \bar z_n}.$$
 
The absolute value |z| of a complex number z=a+ib is defined by ##|z|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}##, or equivalently, by ##|z|=\sqrt{z^*z}##, where z*=a-ib is the complex conjugate of z.