What is the limit of the recurrence relation for g_n?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Marian123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Recurrence Relation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Marian123
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all

Suppose that , a_{n+1}=a_n^2-2 and g_n=\frac{a_1a_2...a_n}{a_{n+1}}.
Evaluate \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty } g_n.

I have seen some information in this link. Besides, the sequence gn seems as a good rational approximation for \sqrt5. I know that the answer is 1, But I can't find any nice solution. Any hint is strongly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure the limit exists in general ...

If [tex]a_1=0[/tex] then [tex]g_n=0[/tex] for all n, so the limit is zero. If [tex]a_1=1[/tex], then g is an alternating sequence and the limit does not exist. If [tex]a_1=2[/tex], then [tex]g_n=2^{n-1}[/tex] which diverges. In fact, after playing for a few minutes, I can only get g to either converge to zero or not converge at all.

jason