I A question regarding the ratio test for limits

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
So we have the theorem:
if ##a_n>0## and ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_{n+1}/a_n = L## then ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_n^{1/n}=L##.

Now, the proof that I had seen for ##L\ne0## that we choose ##\epsilon<L##.

But what about the case of ##\epsilon>L##, in which case we have:
##a_{n+1}>(L-\epsilon)a_n## but the last RHS is negative, so I cannot take the n-th root without going into problems of an n-th root of a negative number, which is not defined for even n's in the real line.

I read this solution from Albert Blank's solutions to Fritz John and Richard Courant's textbook.

Math_QED

Homework Helper
So we have the theorem:
if ##a_n>0## and ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_{n+1}/a_n = L## then ##\lim_{n\to \infty} a_n^{1/n}=L##.

Now, the proof that I had seen for ##L\ne0## that we choose ##\epsilon<L##.

But what about the case of ##\epsilon>L##, in which case we have:
##a_{n+1}>(L-\epsilon)a_n## but the last RHS is negative, so I cannot take the n-th root without going into problems of an n-th root of a negative number, which is not defined for even n's in the real line.

I read this solution from Albert Blank's solutions to Fritz John and Richard Courant's textbook.
If ##L>0##, you can always choose ##\epsilon>0## such that ##0<\epsilon <L##. What exactly is the problem here?

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
@Math_QED the definition of a limit is ##\lim_{n\to \infty}b_n=L \Leftrightarrow \forall \epsilon >0 \exists N(\epsilon) \in \mathbb{N} (n>N(\epsilon) \rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon##.

Then for the definition of limit I need to show that limit also applies for ##\epsilon>L##, since the definition requires that the statement ##n>N(\epsilon)\rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon## will be true for every positive epsilons not only those that are less than ##L##.
And I don't see why does this follow here?

Perhaps I am confused.

@Math_QED the definition of a limit is ##\lim_{n\to \infty}b_n=L \Leftrightarrow \forall \epsilon >0 \exists N(\epsilon) \in \mathbb{N} (n>N(\epsilon) \rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon##.

Then for the definition of limit I need to show that limit also applies for ##\epsilon>L##, since the definition requires that the statement ##n>N(\epsilon)\rightarrow |b_n-L|<\epsilon## will be true for every positive epsilons not only those that are less than ##L##.

Perhaps I am confused.
Maybe so. The definition says, in part, "for any positive ##\epsilon##", but you want to show that for reasonably large n, that ##b_n## and L are only a small distance apart. The concept here is that no matter how close together someone else requires these two numbers to be, you can find a number n that forces ##b_n## and L to be that close. There is no reason for someone to choose ##\epsilon## to be large; i.e., larger than L.

Here's an example. Let ##b_n = \frac 1 2, \frac 2 3, \frac 3 4, \dots, \frac n {n + 1}, \dots##. The limit of this sequence clearly is 1. If someone else chooses ##\epsilon = 2##, how far along in the seqence do you need to go so that ##|b_n - 1| < 2##? If they want to make you work, they will choose a much smaller value for ##\epsilon##.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
Maybe so. The definition says, in part, "for any positive ##\epsilon##", but you want to show that for reasonably large n, that ##b_n## and L are only a small distance apart. The concept here is that no matter how close together someone else requires these two numbers to be, you can find a number n that forces ##b_n## and L to be that close. There is no reason for someone to choose ##\epsilon## to be large; i.e., larger than L.

Here's an example. Let ##b_n = \frac 1 2, \frac 2 3, \frac 3 4, \dots, \frac n {n + 1}, \dots##. The limit of this sequence clearly is 1. If someone else chooses ##\epsilon = 2##, how far along in the seqence do you need to go so that ##|b_n - 1| < 2##? If they want to make you work, they will choose a much smaller value for ##\epsilon##.
I need to relearn stuff that I have forgotten.

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Perhaps I am confused.
Show that this definition is equivalent with the definition:

##\forall \epsilon \in (0,k): \exists N: \dots##

where ##k>0## is some fixed constant.