What is the linear acceleration of the bucket?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 7K views
i) I don't have any clue... Does it have anything to do with the 90 degree angle the rope makes?

ii) Yes I do, but that equation has 2 unknowns as well. We are missing the acceleration and tension in the older equation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dark Visitor said:
i) I don't have any clue... Does it have anything to do with the 90 degree angle the rope makes?

What is the definition of torque?
 
Torque is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis.

Or in equation form:

[tex]\sum[/tex]τ = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
 
No!

Definition of torque is position "cross" force ("moment of force": r x F).

Look it up!
 
Um I did, and I put what I found, both in my book and online.
 
Dark Visitor said:
Um I did, and I put what I found, both in my book and online.

Um so did I …

and it's "Definition of torque is position "cross" force ("moment of force": r x F)."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque" and the PF Library. :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, obviously I was wrong. No need to rub it in...

Anyways, I am still confused. I don't see what torque has to do with tension. Plus, we don't even have tension. It seems like we still have too many unknowns.