What Torque Is Required to Raise a Water Bucket from a Well?

  • Thread starter Thread starter OierL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Apply Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
OierL
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Water is drawn from a well in a bucket tied to the end of a rope whose other end wraps around a cylinder of mass 50 kg and diameter 25 cm. As you turn this cylinder with a crank, the rope raises the bucket. If the mass of a bucket of water is 20 kg, what torque must you apply to the crank to raise the bucket of water at a constant speed?

Solution:
a. 2.5 N.m
b. 24 N.m
c. 80 N.m
d. 2400 N.m
e. 49 N.m
I don't know which one is the correct solution and why they give me the data of the weight of the cylinder.

Homework Equations


∑F=m*a
∑M=F*r and ∑M=I*α

The Attempt at a Solution


If we raise the bucket at a constant speed, ∑M=0
-m(bucket)*g + T=m*α*r=0 (constant speed) ⇒ T=m*g
∑M= (-T*R) + (τ)=0 (Being τ the torque I apply) ⇒ -(m*g*R) + τ=0 ⇒ τ= 20 * 9,8 * (0,25/2)
τ=24,5N*m
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks fine. The mass of the cylinder will be needed if the bucket has a given acceleration different from zero.
 
Your solution looks good to me. The mass of the cylinder was just to throw you off.
 
Ok thank you! Now I'll have to think which of the solutions choose, since my result is different from the others hahaha.
 
OierL said:
Now I'll have to think which of the solutions choose, since my result is different from the others hahaha.
The choice should be clear.
 
OierL said:
Ok thank you! Now I'll have to think which of the solutions choose, since my result is different from the others hahaha.
That should not be too hard. Note that the numbers are given to two significant figures.