What Is the Linear Property of Determinants?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Linear Property
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Winzer
Messages
597
Reaction score
0
So I am looking at the proof for this in a linear algebra book and I half way get it:

Theorem:

If the all elements of the jth column of a determinate D are linear combinations of two columns of numbers, i.e., if
[tex]D=\lambda b_{i}+uc{i}[/tex] where lambda and mu are fixed numbers, then D is equalto a linear comination of the two determinates:
[tex]D=D_{1}\lambda+D{2}u[/tex]

Here both determinates D1 and D2 have the same columns as the determinate D except for the jth column; the jth colum of D1 consists of the numbers [tex]b_{i}[/tex] wile the jth column of D2 consists of the numbers [tex]c_{i}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I figured it out, sorry for the dumb question.
I have never dealt with any proofs before but I get it.