Wire going through a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on a wire carrying 1.5 A passing through a 2.0 T magnetic field in a quarter-circle turn of radius R = 1/ as it passes through the field region. The method of using the Pythagorean theorem and the right hand rule is suggested, with the resulting force being perpendicular to the wire and having a magnitude of 3 N. The importance of expressing the force as a vector is also emphasized. It is noted that if the direction of the magnetic field were reversed, the magnitude of the force would remain the same but the direction would change to 135 degrees below the x-axis.
timnswede

Homework Statement

A wire carrying 1.5 A passes through a region containing a 2.0 T magnetic field. The wire is perpendicular to the field and makes a quarter-circle turn of radius R= 1/
gif.latex?%5Csqrt%7B2%7D.gif
as it passes through the field region as shown below. Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on this section of wire. Use the coordinate system shown and take the +z-axis out of the page. (Hint: Do Not Integrate)

Homework Equations

Fb=ILxB

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was I drew a straight line from where the wire enters the field to where it exits. Then I used the Pythagorean theorem to get the length of the wire, which is 1m (assuming meters, could call it units I suppose). Then I used the right hand rule, with ILxB, and got Fb being 90 degrees up and to the right of the wire. So Fb=ILBsin90=3 N.Would this be a correct way of doing it?
3uXMkdy.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you do that? The length of the wire is obviously not that of your 'straight wire'. And the force on the wire is a vector so you need to express it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
rude man said:
Why did you do that? The length of the wire is obviously not that of your 'straight wire'. And the force on the wire is a vector so you need to express it that way.
I did it because if I take the integral of a curved wire in a uniform magnetic field it is just the displacement, like in this example http://i.imgur.com/mNSSko3.png. Would that not apply here? I know I can get the length of the wire since it is a quarter circle, but why would the other way not work?

timnswede said:
I did it because if I take the integral of a curved wire in a uniform magnetic field it is just the displacement, like in this example http://i.imgur.com/mNSSko3.png. Would that not apply here? I know I can get the length of the wire since it is a quarter circle, but why would the other way not work?
OK, I see what you did. Interesting apprtoach. But you need to express the force as a vector. You have correctly obtained the magnitude but not the complete vector force.

rude man said:
OK, I see what you did. Interesting apprtoach. But you need to express the force as a vector. You have correctly obtained the magnitude but not the complete vector force.
Since Fb is perpendicular to my straight line, it would be 45 degrees above the x-axis right?

timnswede said:
Since Fb is perpendicular to my straight line, it would be 45 degrees above the x-axis right?
Right.
Would you have gotten the right answer if the B field had pointed in the direction of +z instead of -z? How?

rude man said:
Right.
Would you have gotten the right answer if the B field had pointed in the direction of +z instead of -z? How?
Then the Fb is still perpendicular to my straight line, but now it's is below it. So it would be the same magnitude, but 135 degrees below the x axis.

timnswede said:
Then the Fb is still perpendicular to my straight line, but now it's is below it. So it would be the same magnitude, but 135 degrees below the x axis.
Right again. I think you have this subject well in hand.

Likes timnswede

1. How does a wire going through a magnetic field create electricity?

When a wire moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force called the Lorentz force. This force causes the electrons in the wire to move, creating an electric current. This process is known as electromagnetic induction.

2. What is the direction of the induced current in a wire going through a magnetic field?

The direction of the induced current is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the wire's motion, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm will point in the direction of the induced current.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the induced current?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct effect on the magnitude of the induced current. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force on the electrons in the wire, leading to a larger induced current.

4. Can a wire going through a magnetic field generate a current without moving?

No, the wire must be moving or the magnetic field must be changing in order for electromagnetic induction to occur and generate a current. If the wire remains stationary, there will be no change in the magnetic field and no induced current will be produced.

5. What factors can affect the amount of electricity generated by a wire going through a magnetic field?

The amount of electricity generated by a wire going through a magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the wire's motion, the angle at which the wire cuts through the magnetic field, and the length and material of the wire.