1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude of the angular momentum of the bar?

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rigid, uniform bar with mass m and length b rotates about the axis passing through the midpoint of the bar perpendicular to the bar. The linear speed of the end points of the bar is v . What is the magnitude of the angular momentum of the bar?

2. Relevant equations

L=Iw
    I=1/12(ML^(2) This L is the length.
    v=wr

3. The attempt at a solution

L=1/12*m*B^(2)*w

v=wr
    it says that the linear speed of the bar at the end points is v
    When I first read that I automatically thought that I would have to double v=wr because it has two endpoints. However, that is wrong. Why is it that I am only supposed to use a single v=wr?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Toranc3! :smile:
    v = ωr applies to the speed v of any point on the object at distance r from the centre of rotation

so v = ω(L/2) for one end, and v = ω(L/2) for the other end :wink:

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Hi tiny tim, thanks for replying.
    So going back to angular momentum equation L=Iw, the omega applies only to a certain point of the rotation. Therefore when I substitute v=wr I am only replacing v/r=w at that certain point. So that is why I do not double it. Would it be correct to say that? The final answer is L=1/6mbv, forgot to add that in.

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(try using the Quick Symbols box next to the Reply box :wink:)
    no, ω is the same for every point of a rigid body

v is what varies :wink:

(ie the speed, v, is proportional to the distance, r, from the fixed point)

6. Nov 10, 2012 #5
    Well I am still not so sure why but I am going to put this error that I did in my head so I will not make the same error again. Thanks though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook