What is the mass density of a submerged cylinder?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 13K views
cyclemun
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 6.40 cm-tall cylinder floats in water with its axis perpendicular to the surface. The length of the cylinder above water is 1.00cm.

Homework Equations


What is the cylinder's mass density?


The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I am confused because I can use the equation for buoyancy to find the mass of the cylinder, but I don't know how to find its volume.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the radius of the cylinder to find the volume. The question only asks for its density. Just write out the equation using 'r' to denote the unknown radius and something will cancel out.
 
The way I would go about doing this problem--I don't know if it's the best way--is to say the cylinder has a mass m, then figure out the volume of water needed to equal this mass. You can then equate this to a formula for mass of the cylinder.
 
cyclemun said:
so would i use the forumula F = rho* V * g?
You still need to break V up in terms of r and h.
 
Weight of the cylinder= Area*6.4 cm*density*g
Weight of the displaced water= Area*5.4*1000*g
Now find the density.
 
I have the same problem just different numbers... I am confused on what to do. F=rho*v*g
then after you cancel out you get
F=mhg right? is that the force on the bottom?
 
For a floating object the fraction of the volume of a floating object that is below the fluid surface is equal to the ratio of the density of the object to the density of the fluid:

V-f/V-o=rho-o/rho-f as has been noted, the radius cancels, you know rho-f, you can solve directly for rho of the object.