What is the mass of a nucleon?

In summary, a nucleon is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom and can be either a proton or a neutron. The mass of a nucleon depends on its type, with a proton having a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit (amu) and a neutron having a slightly greater mass. The mass of a nucleon is measured using the atomic mass unit (amu) and can vary slightly depending on the element it belongs to. However, these differences are small and do not significantly impact the overall mass of an atom, which is mostly made up of protons and neutrons.
Odyssey

Homework Statement

I need the mass of the nucelon to do my assignment...:confused:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Wikipedia...and other sites on the Web...it says that the mass of the nucleon is on the order of 2000 times the mass of the electrons...so would it be good enough if I just take the mass to be equal to 2000 times the mass of the electron?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thats a rather crude estimate. If you want more accurate values for specific nucleons try typing "Mass of Proton" or "Mass of Neutron" into google.

Thanks! =) Got it!

1. What is a nucleon?

A nucleon is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. It can be either a proton or a neutron.

2. What is the mass of a nucleon?

The mass of a nucleon depends on whether it is a proton or a neutron. A proton has a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit (amu), while a neutron has a mass of slightly more than 1 amu.

3. How is the mass of a nucleon measured?

The mass of a nucleon is measured using a unit called the atomic mass unit (amu). This unit is based on the mass of a proton, which is approximately 1 amu. Scientists use mass spectrometry to determine the mass of nucleons.

4. Is the mass of a nucleon constant?

No, the mass of a nucleon can vary slightly depending on the element it belongs to. This is because the number of protons in an atom's nucleus affects the mass of the nucleons. However, these differences in mass are very small and do not significantly impact the overall mass of an atom.

5. How does the mass of a nucleon compare to the mass of an atom?

The mass of a nucleon is only a small fraction of the mass of an atom. Most of an atom's mass comes from the protons and neutrons in its nucleus, which are made up of nucleons. The mass of the electrons, which orbit the nucleus, is much smaller in comparison.