What is the mass of the Earth's atmosphere?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wrongusername
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atmosphere Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
wrongusername
Messages
58
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the total mass of the Earth's atmosphere? The radius of the Earth is 6.4 x 10^6 m, and 1 ATM = 10^5 N/m^2


Homework Equations


[tex]F=PA=ma[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]F_{g}=P_{atm}A_{earth}=m_{atm}g[/tex]

[tex]m_{atm}=\frac{P_{atm}A_{earth}}{g}=\frac{P_{atm}\pi r^{2}}{g}=\frac{\left(1\times10^{5}Pa\right)\pi\left(6.4\times10^{6}m\right)^{2}}{9.80\frac{m}{s^{2}}}=1\times10^{18}kg[/tex]

I think I'm supposed to account for decreasing gravitational acceleration, but how would I do that? I don't know about the height of the atmosphere. The only thing that saved me from getting this problem wrong was my remembering that the mass of the atmosphere was 5x10^18 kg or something
 
Physics news on Phys.org
D H said:
Almost right. What is the surface area of a sphere?

Oh! So I forgot the 4 in front of the pi r2. Thank you!