What is the Mass-Radius Relation for a White Dwarf with 0.6 Solar Masses?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Catria
Messages
145
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



Compute the numerical constant C for an electron gas (take Z = 6 and A = 12) and determine the radius of a white dwarf whose mass is 0.6 solar masses.

[itex]h\ =\ 6.62606876(52)\ \times\ 10^{-34}\ Jh\ =\ 6.62606876(52)\ \times\ 10^{-34}\ J\ s\ s[/itex]

[itex]m_{e}\ =\ 9.10938188(72)\ \times\ 10^{-31}\ kg[/itex]

[itex]G\ =\ 6.673(10)\ \times\ 10^{-11}G\ =\ 6.673(10)\ \times\ 10^{-11}\ m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}\ m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}[/itex]

Mass of the white dwarf: [itex]\ 1.2 \times\ 10^{30}kg[/itex]

Homework Equations



M = [itex]\frac{f}{R^{3}}[/itex]

f = [itex]\frac{π}{3}[/itex][itex]\left(\frac{15C}{2πG} \right)^{3}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{N}{V}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ρN_{0}}{2}[/itex], since Z/A = 1/2

[itex]P=Cρ^{\frac{5}{3}}[/itex] = [itex]\left(\frac{N}{V}\right)^{\frac{5}{3}}[/itex] [itex]\left(\frac{3h^{3}}{8π}\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{5m}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



C = [itex]\frac{1.064\times10^{-67}}{5m}[/itex][itex]\left(\frac{N_{0}}{2}\right)^{\frac{5}{3}}[/itex]

I took [itex]N_{0}[/itex] = 6.02 x [itex]10^{23}[/itex] so C = 31.57

[itex]\frac{15C}{2πG}=\frac{473.53}{4.19\times 10^{-10}}=1.13\times10^{12}[/itex]

Putting that into f, we get f = [itex]1.511\times10^{36}[/itex]

Now, [itex]1.2\times10^{30}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1.511\times10^{36}}{R^{3}}[/itex]

and finally R = 107.98m, which doesn't make any sense to me. The only place where I think I might have it wrong is the value of [itex]N_{0}[/itex].
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Working with units would help to spot the error.
What is N0? If it is the avogadro constant, why do you get it as factor between a density and another density? Which units do you use for ρ?
 
I hate the textbook and the class notes but, per class notes, I assume ρ is in g/cc, and N/V is in particles per cubic meter.
 
But then I'd have to divide by 1,000 to go from grams to kilograms... so I'd need an additional factor of 1,000 rather than 10^6.
 
As you can see, it would be useful to work with units everywhere. It is easier to spot (or avoid) those prefactors if you know the units of your parameters.
 
And now it gives a more sensible size (somewhat larger than Earth in volume, yet on the same order of magnitude); I find that the Coulomb pressure wouldn't affect the radius very much.