What is the Max Load Capacity for a 6x6 Lumber Post in Canada?

• Thread starter blimkie.k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Max
In summary, a Canadian handbook of steel construction says a 12' tall 6x6 post can withstand a load of 12,000 lbs before it fails.
blimkie.k
This should be a pretty simple but I am having trouble finding the right information.

For a 6x6 wooden post for now well say 12' above the footing I need to determine the max load vertical load it can take before it fails. I live in Canada so was looking around Canadian lumber standards and stuff like that for span and load charts but can't seem to find them. I'm hoping an engineer can't link me to something.

I have a Canadian handbook of steel construction which provides everything fro steel so I need something like that but I don't want to go out and buy another 150 dollar textbook.

And no its not for school or work related its a personal project I am going to be doing on property my mother owns.

Engineering news on Phys.org
These people are on your doorstep.
All civil engineers should know of COFI

http://www.cofi.org/

I have some american standards tables, but properties vary widely depending upon the grade and type of timber:

Southern cypress, douglas fir,eastern hemlock,southern pine,redwood,eastern spruce.

American dressed lumber actual size is 5.5 x5.5 section properties available, max tensile stress, max horiz shear, max compressive stress, youngs modulus - if we can narrow the timber choice down a bit, or send me a PM with an email address so I can scan the table to it.

The compressive strength of (wet to dry)
Douglas Fir is 1300 - 1700 psi
Hemlock, Western is 1300 - 1650 psi
Pine, Eastern white is 960 - 1200 psi

note: if the 6x6 is more than 20 feet stabilizing becomes necessary to avoid bending moments.

Are you planning to apply your own safety factor or are you really looking for the maximum allowable load capacity? The capacity of a 12' tall 6x6 post varies greatly as described above. For maximum design load you should be safe using 400 psi, that's about 12,000 lbs. But you need to add up the loads based on values that go with your allowable stress. S

I would recommend consulting a structural engineer or a building code official for specific information on the maximum load capacity of a 6x6 lumber post. The Canadian Wood Council's publication "Wood Design Manual" may also have information on load capacities for wooden posts. Additionally, the National Building Code of Canada may have guidelines for structural support and load capacities for wooden posts. It is important to follow these guidelines and consult a professional to ensure the safety and structural integrity of your project.

What is the maximum weight that a 6x6 lumber post can hold?

The maximum weight that a 6x6 lumber post can hold depends on several factors such as the type and grade of lumber, the length of the post, and the spacing between posts. However, on average, a 6x6 lumber post can hold up to 30,000 pounds of vertical load.

How do I determine the maximum load capacity of a 6x6 lumber post?

The maximum load capacity of a 6x6 lumber post can be determined by consulting a span table or using a load calculator tool provided by lumber manufacturers. These resources take into account the type and grade of lumber, as well as the length and spacing of the posts, to provide an accurate maximum load capacity.

What are the factors that affect the maximum load capacity of a 6x6 lumber post?

The maximum load capacity of a 6x6 lumber post is affected by several factors including the type and grade of lumber, the length and spacing of the posts, the type of load (vertical or horizontal), and the condition of the post (age, rot, etc.). It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the maximum load capacity.

Can the maximum load capacity of a 6x6 lumber post be increased?

Yes, the maximum load capacity of a 6x6 lumber post can be increased by using stronger and higher grade lumber, reducing the spacing between posts, and reinforcing the post with braces or bolts. However, it is important to consult a professional engineer before making any modifications to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the post.

What are some common uses for 6x6 lumber posts?

6x6 lumber posts are commonly used in construction projects such as decks, pergolas, fences, and retaining walls. They can also be used as support posts for carports, gazebos, and other outdoor structures. In addition, 6x6 lumber posts can be used for landscaping projects as well, such as creating raised garden beds or building a playset for children.