What is the Maximum Compression of a Spring on a Frictionless Surface?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
bkhofmann
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I know the mass of the block and it's velocity when it contacts the spring and the spring conststant. It is on a horizontal frictionless surface.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know there is an equation to find the but I just cannot find it in my notes or remember what it is. Can anyone help me out with this one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The distance if proportional to the force applied.
 
Momentum is conserved since there is no friction, the blocks would fly off at the same speed.
 
bkhofmann said:
Momentum is conserved since there is no friction, the blocks would fly off at the same speed.
There's only one block and a spring. (At least, that's what I presume. If not, please state the full problem.) Momentum is not conserved, but something else is.
 
There were two but they are now "perfecly inelastically together. (is there is such a term) and I know the velocity of that new mass. Kinetic Energy is conserved?
 
bkhofmann said:
There were two but they are now "perfecly inelastically together. (is there is such a term) and I know the velocity of that new mass. Kinetic Energy is conserved?
Please get in the habit of describing the complete problem, otherwise we are forced to guess what the issue is. So, I'm guessing, the problem is two masses colliding with a spring between them? (Which is quite different from a mass colliding with a fixed spring.) In that case both momentum and mechanical energy are conserved. (Not just kinetic energy, but spring potential energy as well.)