What is the Maximum Height a Basketball Reaches When Thrown Upward?

  • Thread starter Thread starter swirly90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Displacement
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
swirly90
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
A referee throws a basketball veritcally upward with an initial speed of 5.0m/s. Determine the maximum height above the floor reached by the basketball if it starts from a height 1.5m


How do you solve this problem? I have tried but I just don't seem to have enough information. I know acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s. I need at least time, initial velocity and acceleration to solve this but I really have no clue how to solve this.

The asnwer is 2.8m
 
Physics news on Phys.org
An object thrown upward stops for an instant before it falls back down, so you can make a statement about the final velocity of the upward part of the motion.