What Is the Maximum Length of a Bar That Can Fit Through a Corner?

  • Thread starter Thread starter maxpayne_lhp
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
maxpayne_lhp
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
"Around the corner" problem?

Hey, I got this assignment from my class... it asks for the maximum length for a bar in order to get it through a corner created by 2 hallways... I am provided with the width of the 2 hallways and that's it. Can someone gimme a suggestion?
Thanks

Nam
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram of the two hallways, where x and y are the widths of the two hallways.
________________________________________
| |
| |
| x
| |
| |________________________
|-------y--------|
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

I'd think the maximum bar would be the longest line you can draw in the rectangle formed by the intersection of the hallways; ie the diagonal.

PS sorry about the diagram; it looked fine when I was writing it. Move a vertical line over to the right(to the end of the y line) and it really does look like two hallways
 
Last edited: