Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the maximum size of a Quantum Dot?

1. Nov 13, 2016 #1
    What is the maximum size of a Quantum Dot? What are the limits of the size of the quantum dots? At what size do we stop calling a Quantum Dot a Quantum Dot?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Is this homework?

There is no fundamental limit, and naming schemes are always arbitrary.

4. Nov 13, 2016 #3
    no it is not homework. I think we stop naming a quantum dot a quantum dot when it exceeds the size of the Exciton Bohr Radius. The nomenclature of quantum dot had arisen when its size is in the same order as a Exciton Bohr radius. I wonder what we would call it when we reach to smaller sizes...

5. Nov 13, 2016 #4
    What would have happened if this was a hw question? I just wanted to keep in check what I could post on this website. :D

6. Nov 13, 2016 #5
    The source of my info came from

Attached Files:

7. Nov 13, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If it had been a homework question very likely this thread would have been closed and you would have been told to

1) put your question in the homework section
    2) use the homework template
    3) show some work

Possibly a moderator would have moved the thread to a homework section but not likely since you showed no work.

8. Nov 13, 2016 #7
    Thank you for elucidating on these details!

9. Nov 13, 2016 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd suggest you read all of the forum rules. This is one of the few forums on the internet where they are really taken seriously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted