What Is the Maximum Speed of the Oscillator?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nweis84
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oscillations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
nweis84
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 253 g oscillator has a speed of 89.28 cm/s when the displacement is 2.79 cm and a speed of 70.95 cm/s when the displacement is 6.56 cm. What is the oscillator's maximum speed?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



well, I haven't really attempted a solution because I'm totally confused on where to start with this problem. I've read the entire chapter and can't come up with any similar examples or formulas that would help solve this because it just doesn't give me enough information.

please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Presumably this is a mechanical oscillator executing simple harmonic motion?

If that is the case, assume the displacement looks like
x(t) = A*cos(omega*t) + B*sin(omega*t)
and see what you can do to fit the given information.
 


Sorry I'm still very confused,
how can we find omega or t or A or B from any of the given information?

my book just doesn't explain at all how to handle this type of problem

and also that's the first time I've seen an equation written that way

I have seen the x(t) = Acos(w*t) and the one with the phase constant phi