What is the meaning of argument in the following phrase?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, "argument" in this context refers to the value that is given to a function parameter when the function is called. It is a commonly used term in computer programming and is similar to how "product" is used in the context of multiplication.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
What is the meaning of "argument" in the following phrase?...

Can someone define "argument" in this context? (attached file)

I never heard it before so it confuses me...

Attachments

• argument.JPG
    argument.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 715
Mathematics news on Phys.org

It looks like the "argument" of the function is just the value to which you apply the function.
If the previous frase sounded confusing: the argument of f(x) is x. So in this case: the argument of sin(3t) is 3t. So you see that there is a coefficient 3 in the argument.

The term "argument" is used heavily in computer programming to describe a value that a function parameter is given when the function is called.

For example, a function might be defined in C as
Code:
double power( double x, int exponent)
{
}
In the function definition above, the function parameters are x and exponent. The function would be called like this:
Code:
result = power(7.0, 2)
The arguments to this function are 7.0 and 2.

In the attachment, "argument" is used in the same sense.

Ah...that clears it. Just the first time I hear it. Thanks :)

Femme_physics said:
Ah...that clears it. Just the first time I hear it. Thanks :)

Argument of a function in that context is quite a commonly used term.

I once had students ask about using the word "product" to mean the result of a multiplication!

1. What does "argument" mean in this context?

In this context, "argument" refers to a statement or set of statements put forward as an explanation or justification for something. It can also refer to a discussion or debate between two or more people with differing viewpoints.

2. Is "argument" the same as "evidence"?

No, "argument" and "evidence" are not the same. While an argument can be supported by evidence, they are not interchangeable. An argument is the overall reasoning and justification for a claim, while evidence is specific facts, data, or information used to support that argument.

3. What are the different types of arguments?

There are several types of arguments, including deductive, inductive, and abductive arguments. Deductive arguments use logical reasoning to arrive at a specific conclusion based on a set of premises. Inductive arguments use observations and evidence to make a generalization or prediction. Abductive arguments use the best available explanation to make a conclusion.

4. How can I strengthen my argument?

To strengthen your argument, you can provide strong evidence, use logical reasoning, address counterarguments, and consider alternative perspectives. It is also important to use clear and concise language and avoid fallacies in your argument.

5. Can an argument ever be completely objective?

No, it is nearly impossible for an argument to be completely objective. Arguments are based on individual perspectives and can be influenced by personal beliefs, biases, and emotions. However, it is important to strive for objectivity by using reliable evidence and logical reasoning in your argument.