What is the meaning of material requirements?

• Thread starter hazar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation is discussing the material requirements for a crankshaft, specifically how the material property requirements are related to the service requirements. The question asks for a discussion and identification of these requirements, taking into consideration factors such as the service lifetime, statistical constraints, and limit state design. The speaker advises taking the time to carefully analyze the question in order to provide a thorough and accurate response.
hazar
i have a case study on a crankshaft. i have completed the service requirements but i have no idea about what i am supposed to do for the material requirements.

the question is:
Discuss and identify the material requirements for the component by relating the material property requirements to the service requirements identified in your answer to service requirements?

could someone please explain this question to me. do i have to talk about which materials have to be used or what the materials properties have to be or both?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It means "what the material properties have to be."

You can't select a material until after you have that information.

Well I suppose it depends upon your idea of service requirements.

Your question asks you how to use the service requirements to influence the materials requirements and therefore eventually the materials.

Here is one possible line of reasoning.

Service requirement - service lifetime = duration of one race (up to 5 hours) before replacement.

Does this allow case hardened components?

Service requirement - service lifetime = 10,000 running hours.

Does this moot a through hardened component?

Were there any statistical constraints on the service requirment such as the loads or friction falling with a certain range?

This would imply limit state design and therefore the materials requirements would require consideration of limit state factors.

Let us take the question apart and see if we can find what they are asking...

"Discuss and identify the material requirements for the component" <how do they want you to do this? ---> by relating the material property requirements to the service requirements <the service requirements which you ---> identified in your answer to service requirements.

Sometimes you just have to slow down and parse the question. I spent many hours over-analyzing and under-analyzing questions during my academic journey. Hope this is of some help.

What is the meaning of material requirements?

Material requirements refer to the specific materials or resources that are needed to complete a project or task. These can include raw materials, components, tools, equipment, and supplies.

Why are material requirements important?

Material requirements are important because they help ensure that a project or task is completed successfully and efficiently. By identifying and planning for the necessary materials, the project can avoid delays, cost overruns, and other potential issues.

How are material requirements determined?

Material requirements are determined through a process called material requirements planning (MRP). This involves analyzing the project's needs, including the quantity and type of materials required, and creating a detailed plan for acquiring and managing those materials.

What factors can affect material requirements?

Material requirements can be affected by a variety of factors, such as changes in project scope, unexpected events, supplier availability, and cost fluctuations. Therefore, it is important to regularly review and adjust material requirements as needed.

How can material requirements be managed efficiently?

Material requirements can be managed efficiently by using MRP software, maintaining accurate inventory records, establishing relationships with reliable suppliers, and regularly monitoring and adjusting material needs. Effective communication and collaboration among team members is also crucial for successful material requirements management.