What is the meaning of the equation Vgrav = constant - 1/2 v2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Joe09
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I did a quick search but didnt find anything relevant so I apologise if this has been covered.

My A2 Physics book says the following:

Epotential = Etotal - Ekinetic

Since the kinetic energy is 1/2 mv2, and the gravitational potential Vgrav is Epotential/m, dividing this equation by m gives

Vgrav = constant - 1/2 v2

My question is, the book does not go into any more detail and i am unsure what this equation is ment to actually be. I think it means G but i am unsure.

Appreciate any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Joe09! Welcome to PF! :smile:

There's a slightly confusing difference between potential and potential energy …

electric potential is potential energy per charge, and gravitational potential is potential energy per mass …

that's why they divided Epotential by m. :wink:

Gravitational potential (in a uniform gravitational field) is U = gh.

(and btw I think we normally use U rather than V for potential)
 
Thankyou for the welcome.

Of course how silly of me!

The equation:

Epotential = Etotal - Ekinetic

is equivalent to:

GMm/R = mc2 - 1/2 mv2

So when the physics book divides the equation by m we arrive at:

GM/R = c2 - 1/2 v2

which is equivalent to:

Vgrav = constant - 1/2 v2



I tell ya, working with integrals all day confudles the mind :blushing:

U? Oh ok, it be nice if the worlds scientists/exam boards/teaching curriculums could agree on a universal symbol. Unless its only the UK which uses V :rolleyes: