What is the meaning of the notation \partial \betaD\alpha in General Relativity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Reedeegi
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
What does the notation [tex]\partial[/tex] [tex]\beta[/tex]D[tex]\alpha[/tex]
mean? I came across it in General Relativity, so I think it's the set of all partial derivatives of the vector function, i.e.
[tex]\partial[/tex]0D1, [tex]\partial[/tex]0D[tex]2[/tex]

and so on... but I'm not entirely sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean [itex]\partial_{\beta}D^{\alpha}[/itex], then it is short hand for [tex]\frac{\partial D^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\beta}}[/tex]
 
Depending on the context, it can also mean boundary. What is the context?
 
Since Reedeegi said it was from General Relativity I suspect the context is as cristo assumed and it is the "outer derivative" of the vector- the tensor represented by array in which the "[itex]\alpha\beta[/itex]" component is the derivative of the [itex]\alpha[/itiex] component of D with respect to [itex]x^\beta[/itex]- which is, of course, just what cristo said.[/itex]